XC Bike Trip: Oregon to Virginia

Most of my life has been spent working towards something: high school and college degrees, fulfilling my commitment to Teach for America and the Rotary Scholarship program, completion of my JP Morgan analyst tenure. I've been fortunate to have been provided these many wonderful opportunities and to have met some of the most amazing people along the way. There has been pain, joy, triumph, and defeat. Looking back, I have the utmost appreciation of these moments and wouldn't change a single one.

What needs to change, however, is my perspective. I need to spend a little less time on figuring out how to get where I’m going and a little more on why I want to go there, all the while giving a greater admiration to those things that make life special along the way. As one adventure ends and a new one begins, I look forward to new challenges, emotions, and individuals it will bring with it. Here’s to the journey!

Monday, March 2, 2009

The North

Dear Reader, I´ll say this only once: please keep in mind I´m on the road. I´ll probably only be able to post pictures once every few weeks or so, and even though I hope to update this at least once a week, who the hell knows. Also, given that chances are Im probably sweltering in a computer lab as locals are screaming at each other over some video game they are playing (like right now for example) please forgive the lack of editing.

That being said, it´s good to be back. Im not sure if it was the city or just feeling sedetary that made me feel as if my creativity was being stifled. Nothing gets the creative juices flowing like 90 degree heat and 100% humidity right?

TUCUMAN

I chose this as my starting off point as I had met someone from Tucuman on my last trip through europe. We kept in touch during my time in Buenos Aires and I promised her I would check out the north. Surprise surprise, when it came down to it and the ticket was booked, not a word from her. I wasnt looking for a hand out, a place to stay or anything of the like, perhaps just to meet up and grab a beer or something. She, however, went dumb over the last month and this never came to fruition. I really don´t mind as I managed to enjoy myself just fine in the city. It did, however, come to symbolize my impression of Argentina: unfulfilled promises. I´m speaking mainly in terms of people (not all of them) but suppose this could easily be applied to the government, economy, history, et al. I realize this may sound a bit bitter but I don´t really think of it in that way, it´s more of just putting things in there correct place. Knowing this will make it much easier when a local is a no show or doesnt do as they said. But I digress.

Tucuman is a big city with a small town feel. I enjoyed it as everybody seemed to be a bit more outdoorsy and healthy...lots of runners and many people on bikes. It was technically the first city in Argentina but it´s lack of museums could fool even the most historic-minded tourist. Nonetheless, it was a nice break after a 17 hour bus ride and gave me a little chance to unwind from big city life.

Getting away from the cities is kind of out there. Not quite as out there as the sheep farm, but close. At one of the bus stations I witnessed them syphoning off gas from one bus to the other. Not only that, but it appeared that this was such a common occurance that they built a ramp for one bus to back up onto. The next day I made my way up to Tafi del Valle, a town three hours north that would probably be described more as a lake with some houses around it instead of a town. As I still hadn´t shaken the rust off and come back into my own as a traveler, I wasnt willing to forge down to town to figure out what there was to do. The reasons for this were many as I was still stiff from the bus ride, lugging 60 lbs on my back, and there is very little info in guide books on this city. I decided instead to continue on to Cafayate after a two hour lunch break overlooking the lake.

Cafayate is the start of the northern wine country. It doesn´t have quite as good wine, nor the appeal of Mendoza, but is still worthy in it´s own right. They are actually known for their Torrentes there, a white wine that I can actually tolerate. Another fun part about the town is that one of their more entreprenuerial members decided to patent wine flavored ice cream. I tried both, the white and the red, and actually liked the white a little bit better as it was smoother. This, by the way, is no ¨hint of wine.¨ It´s in your face and packs a punch. I also managed to swing by a vineyard to take a tour and try some of their samples.

Also in Cafayate I took a tour of the Quebradas, a series of deserts and gorgers. Im not sure how to really place it in the US but some of it looked like Utah I guess. Some pretty amazing things that have been carved out by the elements, hopefully the pics will be up in a week or two. Somehow along the way we also managed to pick up a spaniard who was absolutely ridiculous. He was fifty years old and dressed in a salmon t shirt with wine bottles all over it, euro-short salmon shorts with goldfish (think peppridge farm) all over it, and salmon colored crocks. As I slowly work through who and what I never want to be, he helped me as I could check him off the list.

My last adventure in Cafayate was a trip to the waterfalls. Given that no excursions were offered from the hostel or guide book, I took this as a sign that I could do it solo. I should have known when the one hour trip there took 25% longer. I also should have known when the person signing people in said I should have a guide, but I thought he was blowing smoke up my ass and I was having none of it. The trail is about two hours each way and poorly marked. Not poorly marked as in ¨wow I can´t beleive there is only a sign every 400 meters¨ but poorly marked as in sometimes a machete could have been useful to help make your way through.

One of the most difficult parts was the river. I think I had to cross it about 25 times total, sometimes hopping on rocks, other times having to take off my shoes and wade through. Finally I just said screw it and went in with my boots on, which actually helped a lot more with traction. Between that, scaling rocks, walking along ledges 100ft up, and the sun beating down on me I learned my lesson. I also have several reminders of said lesson as it looks as if I got in a fight with a coked up cat. Highlight of the trek: getting lost on my way back and running into a ¨mountain boy¨ who guided me back to the trail. It sounds silly but this was literally like something out of Indiana Jones, I was dehydrated and delirious and this little shirtless boy comes out of the woodwork, bouncing off rocks like they were a flat surface. He seemed rather intrigued by me and was more than helpful, so I take it they don´t get too many yankees up in the mountains there.

One of the coolest parts thus far is getting complete use out of my spanish. Up in the north, at least right now, the only travelers are spanish speakers. I befriended two argentine ladies and their 3 year old son (who may have been the coolest three year old ever), a spanish chica, and several others. Days and nights were spent speaking spanish and I couldnt help but think how cool it was to be conversing amongst a group of people whose only similar trait was spanish. Random side note: speaking with a drunk argentine from tucuman who has a wad of coca leaf in his mouth is great practice...in patience if not spanish.

Im in Salta now but have spent more time preparing for the rest of my journey than appreciating the city, which Im ok with. I head out to San Pedro de Atacama tomorrow and Bolivia shortly thereafter. Hope to update from Bolivia but who knows what the internet will be like there.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thanks for the great post, Daniel! Traveling mercies to you as you go on your journey! We're thinking about and praying for you!

Love,

Michelle, Scott & Maya