XC Bike Trip: Oregon to Virginia

Most of my life has been spent working towards something: high school and college degrees, fulfilling my commitment to Teach for America and the Rotary Scholarship program, completion of my JP Morgan analyst tenure. I've been fortunate to have been provided these many wonderful opportunities and to have met some of the most amazing people along the way. There has been pain, joy, triumph, and defeat. Looking back, I have the utmost appreciation of these moments and wouldn't change a single one.

What needs to change, however, is my perspective. I need to spend a little less time on figuring out how to get where I’m going and a little more on why I want to go there, all the while giving a greater admiration to those things that make life special along the way. As one adventure ends and a new one begins, I look forward to new challenges, emotions, and individuals it will bring with it. Here’s to the journey!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pictures from the South

So I ran out of time and didn´t get the chance to do the write up I wanted to about my trip down south so you´ll have to settle for my previous post (the journal). Below I will post some pictures, video, and commentary though if that helps.

Unfortunately I can´t seem to download the videos off of my site, which means im going to need another way to embed them within the blog. Until I figure that out, I have all the videos (with one notable exception) a caption, so just go into my photos and look under the ¨Patagonia¨ album. I´d recommend perusing all the photos but a 150 can be quite daunting. There´s only about 10 videos or so and they all have titles so you can pick them out. Here´s a sampling of the photos:

Let´s start with some of my more artistic pictures:


Title: Achilles
This my favorite picture of my trip, and perhaps from the entire year. The rolled up cigarette, bloody hand, and knarled vagabond look just empitomizes the gaucho.


Sand and Water
Comment: it always seemed like the clouds hung really low in the sky


House and Water pump (i realize im not getting any creativity points for the names here)


A year´s worth of work


Horseplay


dinner drying

THE VACATION PART


The glaciar builds a bride once or twice a year and actually damns up part of the lake


A 100 ft tall and miles long this glaciar is the most popular since its the most stable. The biggest one is about 50 miles away and is over 1000 ft tall.

Not my videos as my camera was too busted to film them, but you get the idea:


I actually befriended a tour guide so got to go with her for free. It was amazing to see her and her guide friends, who must have seen this hundreds of times (she´d been doing it for five years) still jump up and rush to the edge to see what was happening whenever you hear a big crack



Me in Chalten, working my way up Fitz Roy hill (hill my ass, 2500 ft)


Me at the summit, there was one crazy bastard who was actually swimming in that lake.

1 comment:

this guy said...

So happy to see the Bud Man hoodie is still alive and well. Godspeed, good sir.