XC Bike Trip: Oregon to Virginia

Most of my life has been spent working towards something: high school and college degrees, fulfilling my commitment to Teach for America and the Rotary Scholarship program, completion of my JP Morgan analyst tenure. I've been fortunate to have been provided these many wonderful opportunities and to have met some of the most amazing people along the way. There has been pain, joy, triumph, and defeat. Looking back, I have the utmost appreciation of these moments and wouldn't change a single one.

What needs to change, however, is my perspective. I need to spend a little less time on figuring out how to get where I’m going and a little more on why I want to go there, all the while giving a greater admiration to those things that make life special along the way. As one adventure ends and a new one begins, I look forward to new challenges, emotions, and individuals it will bring with it. Here’s to the journey!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Heaven and Hell

Editors note: If youve read Adams post from the past blog, youll notice that I left out names in the previous posting. I usually do this for the sake of anonymity (not that it matters that much) but apparently I have offened my dear friend Adam. In the name of full disclosure, Adam is the name of the guy from South Africa. And don´t worry Adam, you weren´t just ¨that guy from South Africa,¨ you were my only guy from South Africa. Since Ive held back to much here´s a bit more info about Adam: he used to live in London, he wears mankinis, and his favorite drink is a cosmopolitan :)

AM I DREAMING?

The third day of our trek through the desert we reached the much awaited destination: the salt flats of Uyuni. 12,000 km in area and up to 10m deep, this ancient dried out lake is a site for the ages. Most of the fun we had was with depth perception, since you are surrounded by white, putting things/objects in the background can make them seem smaller. For example:


A picture that appears if GoGo Jonas and I are shrunk and holding up Adam.



We also had a little bit of fun with this one:



A little Angel and Devil on the shoulder


This last one doesnt quite capture it all the way as I was at the wrong angle with the sun, but it almost appears if Im free falling.




We also stopped by the Isla de Pescados (Fish Island), smack in the middle of the salt flats. It gets its name in that it´s shaped like a fish if viewed from above. It´s most known for its cacti, some as high as 16 meters and old as 1,000 years old. Eating lunch hear was almost surreal. It seems as if you are surrounded by snow, but it´s really just tons and tons of salt. More photos in the web album.


ALL GOOD DREAMS MUST COME TO AN END

After our trek through we stopped by the train graveyard, which wasnt too much to see. The train rememnants were those left over from around the 1850s when the spanish used to export materials out to sea through the northern coast of Chile.

Once we arrived in Uyuni the real fun began. Jose, our nineteen year old driver found my passport and handed it over to the office official, along with two numbers to call to get my visa...neither number worked. Apparently there is no translation needed for the look I gave her, which was probably something to the tune of ¨if we don´t get my visa today Im going to bury you in the salt flats.¨ After about ten tries she finally got through and the visa was taken care of with relative ease. Its pretty by the way, the bolivian visa, but not worth $135 by any means.

As I was now free to move throughout the country and ready to get the hell out of Uyuni, I met up with some of my fellow desert trekkers and we went to book a night bus to La Paz. The news wasn´t good: police and army had closed the already poor roads due to rain. Having no other options we booked our tickets for the following morning and were told to check back in around 7pm in case something opens up.

Nothing opened up, but that didnt seem to matter. We were told to meet at a sketchy gas station outside of town to bypass the road block and that we would be leaving tonight. By now I am traveling with two ladies from Bolivia and we were eager to get to La Paz so we went. Upon our departure I noticed the police were there, though they left after about fifteen minutes. I assume they took a bribe.

Turns out we probably shouldnt have left. I think we crossed at least three rivers. Not on bridges, actually going through the rivers. One of them was at least 30m long and another had trucks washed up in the river bed. Our bus broke down twice and stopped a third time. The additional stop was after crossing a river, hitting a hole, and the bus tossing back and forth at about 45 degree angle, so close to tipping over. The bus behind us saw this and slowed down, then got stuck in the riverbed. They had to evacuate the bus at 5am, build fires and wait for another bus. We made our 300 mile journey in 18 hours and the group that got stuck took 25, so it was bad but could have been a lot worse. If there is a hell, Id imagine it something close to this.

LA PAZ
In all fairness, I dont think I gave it enough time. After the delayed bus ride and spending a bit too long in Chile, I only had two days for La Paz and two more for La Titicaca. The city is visually astonishing as its over 10,000 ft high and essentially built into mountainsides. There is one main road that is relatively flat and all the others go uphill from there. The city itself doesnt have too terribly much to offer. By day it is really just one big open air market, everybody is selling everything. So much so that it seems supermarkets dont really exist in the city center. There isnt too much in the way of culture, except for the Coca Museum, which I visited and burshed up on my history of the coca leaf and its popular byproduct: cocaine. The food was rather mediocre as well. That said, the one upside is that its absurdly cheap. A night in a basic hotel was about $6US. I also bought a swiss army night (though not brand name) for $3.50. It was nice to live in a place where everything was so cheap and I feel as if I had stayed longer I could have appreciated it more. รง

OH THOSE BEAUTIFUL BOLIVIAN WOMEN...

Not so much. I think its the altitude but they kind of resemble cupcakes. High cheek bones, a low center of gravity, and a bit of a waddle...not really a recipe for attraction. I do like their traditional garb though and hope to have a picture of it up soon.

THE CRIME SIDE

Although I felt relatively safe Bolivia still has a lot of work to do in terms of security. A few things that might startle foreigners are the shoe shine boys and taxis. The shoe shine boys were ski masks and hats to completely cover their face and most taxi/buses are old school VW type vans. When the buses come by, someone opens the door quickly and starts screaming out the destinations. If you put the two of those together, it seems like a great recipe for an express kidnapping (where they take you hostage until you draw as much money out of the ATM as you can). Come to think of it, those vans look an awful lot like the one the terrorists used in Back to the Future, so youve got that to worry about too.

One side note: Bolivia really appears to be a country without consequences. I used to feel the same about Argentina and sort of still do, but at least Argentina maintains the illusion of consequnces. Its well know to travelers where you need to go to buy all sorts of illegal contraband, including dynamite. There´s also a pretty famous prison just outside la paz, filled with all sorts of violent criminals, that is known for its cocaine production. You can take a very unofficial tour of this prison, ending with a sample of their product...I passed.

NOT QUITE THE HOTTEST PLACE SOUTH OF HAVANNA
Ok, so my man Barry was probably singing about the one in Rio, but Brazil´s Copacabana was actually named after Bolivia´s, though Im not quite sure why. The Copa was nice, though much smaller than I invisioned. There´s a hill overlooking the lake where I caught a beautiful sunset. The next day I headed to Isla del Sol, where I planned to spend the night. The island gets its name from the Incas as they thought the sun was born from there (again, not sure why as the sun neither rises nor sets over it). I had planned to spend the night on the island for a change of scenery, but this too was quite small. My friends and I arrived around 10am and hiked our way across the island in a few hours, returning around 5pm.

On our return trip we stopped by the floating island, which was one of the bigger tourist traps Id ever seen. There are apparently some real floating islands on the other side of the lake, the Peruvian side. In Peru, people apparently live on these man made floating islands. In Bolivia, they dont even make it look like they are trying. You can see the wooden bouys below the straw and a big sign saying WELCOME TO LAKE TITIHUANA (in English!). It was pretty funny as everyone on our boat was fed up with tourist traps and didnt go on the island (as we knew admission would be charged)

In sum, Im not really sure how I feel about Bolivia, said that it was exhausting. Its great in that its really cheap, but terrible and that people nickel and dime you for everything! Id rather pay 20% more than having to pay a dollar to step on the island, fifty cents to use the bathroom, a quarter for toilet paper, etc. That said, I do feel like I rushed it and would like to return at some point. My visa is good for five years so who knows.

Terribly sorry, my web albums cant make it up today. The computers here in Cusco are terribly slow so it will probably have to wait until next weekend in Lima.

No comments: