XC Bike Trip: Oregon to Virginia

Most of my life has been spent working towards something: high school and college degrees, fulfilling my commitment to Teach for America and the Rotary Scholarship program, completion of my JP Morgan analyst tenure. I've been fortunate to have been provided these many wonderful opportunities and to have met some of the most amazing people along the way. There has been pain, joy, triumph, and defeat. Looking back, I have the utmost appreciation of these moments and wouldn't change a single one.

What needs to change, however, is my perspective. I need to spend a little less time on figuring out how to get where I’m going and a little more on why I want to go there, all the while giving a greater admiration to those things that make life special along the way. As one adventure ends and a new one begins, I look forward to new challenges, emotions, and individuals it will bring with it. Here’s to the journey!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bye bye Southern American Pie

Im officially north! Or at least in the middle.

LA SALIDA

Argentina didnt want to let me leave without two final kicks to the nards. I was heading to San Pedro de Atacama, in northern chile, and its a relatively small destination. I went to the bus station early that morning to get cash and my ticket, so as not to have to wait two more days. Five cash machines later, I finally had the money. An hour and a half later, I fortunately had my ticket.

Fast forward to the next day. Six hours into the trip, just before the Chilean border, a small town- of maybe 100 people- decides to protest lord knows what and shuts down the highway. One hour delay, but really not too bad.

SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA

Is really a cool town. Nothing is more than a story high and the population is only abour 4000. Its supported almost completely by tourism, meaning there were some great things to do and great places to eat. As we couldnt find any hostels online, we rolled the dice and waited until we cleared customs. They came up seven. Our group of three managed to multiply to eleven and we filled out Marcelinos hostel. It wasnt until later that we found out that Marcelino was a former high level body guard with knowledge of several types of martial arts. We decided to celebrate all of our various discoveries with an asado and more than a few cervezas. If youre looking through my web album (title: chile and bolivian salt flats) you may seem strange pictures, these were all from a fun drinking game we played called 13. Ill save the details for later and will probably teach many upon my return. It was just such a highlight as we had people from columbia, chile, norway, south africa, ireland, and switzerland all playing, making it quite the multicultural affair.

There was a group of five of us, though, that stuck together for the next few days. Two girls from Norway, one from Ireland, and a guy from South Africa. The following day we did an excursion to the Valley of Death (unfortunately not as cool as it sounds) and the Valley of the Moon for a sunset. Also not as great as expected, but still a nice excursion. The next evening we had Marcelino take us to one of his familiar spots, thermal baths about 30km outside the city. The waters were warmed by a nearby volcano and we couldnt stay more than a few hours due to the sulfur. We did, however, make use of our time, even if the water wasnt as hot as we wanted (about 75f).

SALT FLATS

The next morning we started on our three day, four by four excursion through the bolivian salt flats. I knew I was in for an adventure when I had to hand by passport over to bolivian customs. Americans require a visa (i now hate the word reciprocity) and Bolivia doesnt trust its border officals with the $135US I needed to pay. Therefore, my passport was put into a rather unofficial looking package and turned over to the care of our rather unoffical 19 year old guide, Jose. Three days and twenty blood pressure points later I was to get it back in Uyuni where the visa could be processed.

Nonetheless, we proceeded with out journey as planned. As I mentioned before, there were five of us, but the jeep needed six. We picked up one more random guy, a brazilian named Jonas. It proved not only a good chance for me to practice my portuguese but also a ton of fun. We traveled in a caravan of three jeeps. Not that it really mattered, one breakdown and we were screwed, this was complete desert. Every so often we stopped off at a laguna, there was the white one and the green one. The white one almost purely reflected the sky, while the green one changed colors from blue to teal as we watched (check it out in the photos). We also stopped at more thermal baths (this time about 95f) which was warmly welcomed, pun intended. Our main stop was the geysers, which were not only magnificent and dangerous, but also marked the maximum altitude of our journey at 4900m (over 15000 ft). A few shrubs was all the flora and the fauna was little more than pink flamengos and vicunas, a cousin of the deer. We ended our day at the colored lake, which was a sulfur red, full of flamengos and surrounded by llamas. Everyone was a bit shocked at a 7pm dinner time (about 3 hours earlier than we were used to) and the fact that we were at a campground with nothing else to do. Solution: cards.

The next day was more grueling than eventful. 280 km (about 168 miles) through the desert is no simple task. Id even hesitate to call this off roading because that would imply that at some point there was a road. Our first stop was the Arbol de piedra (Rock Tree) which was cool to see, but there was little else to do. We followed that with a trip through three of four lagunas, which we were a bit sick of by the end as there isn{t much to distinguish them. The last stop was an active volcano before we raced a storm to our next nights habitat.

I feel it necessary to mention that two days in the desert can take its tole on people. You can see many examples of this in my photos as we tried to spice up our sand and rock surroundings. We also started to create our own fun in other ways. The brazilian I mentioned earlier, Jonas, didnt speak much english. As he was hurrying us for a picture he said GO GO! and thus the name GoGo Jonas was born. We all ended up with nicknames by the end, mine was West Virginia (john denver is too damn popular internationally). Our team name was GoGo Jonas and can be seen extched into our jeep in various photos. More fun was had than should have been. It was like one of those times you cant stop laughing at something that isnt too funny and it was great. It was probably a good thing we pulled into our hotel when we did as who knows how far it would have gone.

When I say hotel I really mean basic accomadation. But after two days in the desert, even the mildy hot shower could have convenced every guest it was 5 star lodging. The other cool thing about the hotel was the inside was made completely out of salt. The walls were salt bricks, the floor was covered in salt and the tables and chairs were also compacted salt. Fun, novel, and suprisingly comfortable. Though I guess after the grueling day we had, a bed of nails would have been welcomed with open arms.

Day 3 was the big day, the salt flats. Unfortunately I havent uploaded my pictures from here yet, and in this case mroe than every, a picture really is worth a thousand words. Therefore, the story will have to end here and be continued within a week.

If youve made it this far, today is March 10th and Im hoping to have the photos and the second half up by the 16th. I also dont have time to inbed pictures right now but will hopefully go back and put some in by the 16th. Until then, Ill try to label a few on my web album to give a better sense of direction (they are all mixed).

2 comments:

Adam said...

Thought I would be more than "a guy from South Africa"

Think of the memories Mountain Momma!

Kara & J.P. said...

This is making me more and more jealous by the day! Looks like a ton of fun! The pictures of the Bolivian kids look like spitting images of all my little 1st graders. Keep up the good times, can't wait to hear more of your adventures...and I'm serious about making your way up to Costa in April--come join us!