XC Bike Trip: Oregon to Virginia

Most of my life has been spent working towards something: high school and college degrees, fulfilling my commitment to Teach for America and the Rotary Scholarship program, completion of my JP Morgan analyst tenure. I've been fortunate to have been provided these many wonderful opportunities and to have met some of the most amazing people along the way. There has been pain, joy, triumph, and defeat. Looking back, I have the utmost appreciation of these moments and wouldn't change a single one.

What needs to change, however, is my perspective. I need to spend a little less time on figuring out how to get where I’m going and a little more on why I want to go there, all the while giving a greater admiration to those things that make life special along the way. As one adventure ends and a new one begins, I look forward to new challenges, emotions, and individuals it will bring with it. Here’s to the journey!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

T Minus 5 Days

I’m not even sure where to begin. Of all the questions asked to me about this trip, “how?” almost seems to be the easiest one. “Get on your bike and ride” is what I tell myself each time I hear this question, though my outward answer is usually a bit more eloquent. Many have alluded to Forrest Gump (clearly), which isn’t too far from the truth. The idea originated as “do it just to do it,” but as the idea has progressed, it has become so much more. On the deeper side of things I would say it’s a chance to rediscover America and rediscover myself. On the lighter side, it will be full of challenges, adventures, misadventures, interesting people, and probably more than my fair share of discomfort where the sun don’t shine. I plan on drinking it all in and smiling from ear to ear throughout.

The lead up has actually been one of the more frustrating parts, though I have no one to blame but myself. Logistics are a bit tricky for this trip and no one will ever be 100% prepared, as a good deal will have to be figured out along the way. That said, I’ve left way too much for the eleventh hour. This is only compounded by the fact that I’m leaving my job and trying to squeeze in every last moment with those I care about most. The end result is a crappy diet, too much drinking, not enough sleep, and pretty much feeling like a sloth. I find quite a bit of humor in that the thing I’m looking forward to most about the first day of our ride (probably 90 miles) is actually being able to get some rest!

Under no pretense do I pretend that this trip is about anything other than me. I have found myself at a crossroads in my life and, lacking of better options, decided 80 miles per day on a bicycle sounded a lot better than 10 hours a day behind two computer screens. I find great comfort in continuous motion, which anyone who has ever met me can affirm. It brings clarity to my mind and solace to my heart, both of which I could use a bit more of right now. Even still, I hope to share this trip not only with those whose paths I cross, but also those who mean so much to me: my friends and family. They have shaped my life, given me the strength and courage to pursue non-traditional endeavors, and continually supported me throughout my wildest ideas.

This blog seems to be one of the better means of communication with the outside world, especially since I’m hoping to maintain a relative level of detachment throughout the trip. Technological advances have made it much easier to share much more, even without using the coveted Facebook. I hope to post my thoughts at least once a week (and probably pictures too) but should be updating the Track my Tour daily (see pics and track my tour links to the left). If ever I lose motivation, I need to look no further than a quick picture on my iPhone of my niece, whose parents are using this trip as a way to teach her US Geography this summer :)

Let the adventure begin…

2 comments:

Melanie Gleason said...

Love it Dan! Can't wait to hear more.

Michelle said...

Can't wait to join you on this adventure however we can! Traveling mercies to you, brother!