XC Bike Trip: Oregon to Virginia

Most of my life has been spent working towards something: high school and college degrees, fulfilling my commitment to Teach for America and the Rotary Scholarship program, completion of my JP Morgan analyst tenure. I've been fortunate to have been provided these many wonderful opportunities and to have met some of the most amazing people along the way. There has been pain, joy, triumph, and defeat. Looking back, I have the utmost appreciation of these moments and wouldn't change a single one.

What needs to change, however, is my perspective. I need to spend a little less time on figuring out how to get where I’m going and a little more on why I want to go there, all the while giving a greater admiration to those things that make life special along the way. As one adventure ends and a new one begins, I look forward to new challenges, emotions, and individuals it will bring with it. Here’s to the journey!

Sunday, April 5, 2009

When Life Gives You Limes...

Make Limeade! I realize this is a departure from one of my previous posts that suggest to just start hucking the assigned fruit at individuals. However, a certain amount of optimism is required.

Lima is the spanish word for lime, and the city itself actually takes on some of its attributes. Its good an small dosis, but a little bit goes a long way. That being said, the four of us (Lee, Brynn, Marie, and myself) managed to make a day of it. Any time youre driving from an airport and see a car on fire, you know things are going to be at least interesting. We carried on towards the hostel where we met the owner, who seemed to be a surfer party boy with little else to do. He also had no concept of time as we told him we were only there for a day and he suggested about 72 hours (continuous) of events.

Jose then hooked us up with his cousin/brother/friend who, for the low low price of $3 per, prepared us fresh ceviche and parmesan scallops...probably one of the best deals for meals Ive ever had. We then meandered across the plaza to get some much needed ice cream (you get weird cravings out on the trail) but walked into bizarro world. Instead of a regular menu, everything this place had was in picture form because they created sculptures out of their ice cream (mickey mouse, a duck, guy with a cannon...you get the idea). Fully engorged, we decided to work off some of our intake with a little late afternoon surfing. The waves werent great, which was fine because we werent either. Still, rather lovely. The night life wasnt too promising, though we werent looking for much. They do, however, have a water fountain park that makes the Bellagio look like a squirt gun. No a bad send off for the rest of the gang though.

BACK IN THE HIGH LIFE AGAIN

Steve Winwood is full of shit. After a brief hiatus in Lima (sea level) I returned to elevation in Quito, around 2800 meters. Quito is what I would like to describe as a "shithole" and it kind of caught me off guard. There are two main tourist parts to the city, old town and new town. Old town being more colonial and historic, new town having more of the nightlife. I decided to stay in new town. Ive also decided that I should never arrive in a new city after 10pm (remember the girl that wanted to drug me in Cuzco?) as there was a prostitute on the corner when I arrived. It turned out it wasnt the timing, as I woke to find crack dealers up and down the street and spread throughout the neighbourhood. I tried my best to see the city during the day but took it rather easy during the night. My second night I was really considering going out until I came back to the hostel and heard three mugging stories from that day (including one guy who was mugged three times on his walk home). I stayed in.

I wouldnt really consider myself the cautious type, but just didnt have a good feeling about this city. Turns out I was right, I went out the next night (four blocks away and only stayed out until 11) and on my return was almost mugged. One of the three crack dealers on the street was running across and screaming at me and I was able to get in the hostel just in time to close the door in his face.

Some of the highlights: They have a really nice old cathedral in town. By really nice I mean they let you do whatever you want. Seriously, I was crawling around in the rafters and made my way up into the old bell tower...not the safest thing in the world but pretty fun. Also, their central bank was putting on a currency exhibition, which was interesting to see the history of their currency.

For those of you who dont know, Equadors official currency is the US dollar. Rememeber when the Sacagawea coin came out? Ever wondered where they all went? Answer: Equador. Other than a few minor coins, everything is US mint. Do you have any idea of the benefit the US receives annually from this? Every dollar outside the country is essentially a debt the US government never has to pay. Add to that the thousands of dollar most wealthy thrid world country citizens keep as their savings and the US is reaping a massive benefit. I just hope the dollar remains the common currency of the world, if not, that could mean trouble.

SAD NOTE: I believe that I mentioned my camera broke on the final day of the trail, just as we reached Macchu Picchu. Although Im now traveling with Julie, who has two cameras, it also appears as if my Picasa Web Albums is full. Ill try to figure out a way around this but until then there will be few pictures available. I just posted about 100 from Peru.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Julie R said...

A friend of a friend was mugged by a midget, threatening her with a shard of glass in a back alley in Quito. True story.