XC Bike Trip: Oregon to Virginia

Most of my life has been spent working towards something: high school and college degrees, fulfilling my commitment to Teach for America and the Rotary Scholarship program, completion of my JP Morgan analyst tenure. I've been fortunate to have been provided these many wonderful opportunities and to have met some of the most amazing people along the way. There has been pain, joy, triumph, and defeat. Looking back, I have the utmost appreciation of these moments and wouldn't change a single one.

What needs to change, however, is my perspective. I need to spend a little less time on figuring out how to get where I’m going and a little more on why I want to go there, all the while giving a greater admiration to those things that make life special along the way. As one adventure ends and a new one begins, I look forward to new challenges, emotions, and individuals it will bring with it. Here’s to the journey!

Monday, March 3, 2008

AT LONG LAST

So BsAs has had an unusual amount of rain (that being two days worth) and actually probably copes with it worse than Los Angeles. Power outages and flooding are common, leaving my update at the whim of this internet cafe computer with a faulty ´a´ button. I´d like to think of it as going back to the old school cause I´m an old fool (Tag Team anybody?) but am hoping many of these problems will be resolved when I move into my apartment with wireless this weekend. Many of you may be thinking, ¨but Daniel, how does that affect the weather?¨ Well if you follow my detailed plan below you wouldn´t have to ask such silly questions.
MY PLAN
Step 1) Move into an apartment with wireless
Step 2) Build machine that controls the weather

For those of you whose brains hurt from trying to comprehend such idiocracy, let me reiterate the big news: I have an apartment. Its a two bedroom with a common space (for those of you who wish to visit) in a nice area that probably costs a bit too much. Nevertheless, its got good value and a balcony on the 12th floor. Pictures to come.

Apartment shopping occupied most of my free time, but I managed to drag myself out for few social engagements. Tuesday night was Kevin´s last in town and we went to a bar that served indian food. The food wasnt bad though it lacked spice (Im sensing recurring theme here). A pretty casual night really. Wednesday I saw Juno in what was probably the nicest movie theater Ive ever been in, and it only cost $4 US. All the American movies are in English here with Spanish subtitles, which is a nice reprive from my brain pain, but also helpful in that I pick up a few more words here and there. The real winner of the week though was Saturday night, we went to Azucar, which is a Salsa club and danced until 6AM, again being some of the first to leave. I havent attempted Tango yet but think I want to learn Salsa first because it was a ton of fun.

For those of you worried about my cultural learnings I actually tried to go to the Bodies Exhibit on saturday, but it turns out it closed on Friday (who closes an exhibit on the beginning of weekend?) I also pick up about two or three papers a week. The big news here is that beef prices are going up 15%, from about 6.5 pesos per kilo (about $1 per lb) to as high as 8 pesos. This price seems pretty reasonable still, yet sometimes I forget Im not surrounded my American prosperity. You´ll see things like a cd rack in the supermercado that costs 40 pesos (about 13$ US) and they have it on a 12 month payment plan so people can afford it. A bit tragic.

Never one to end on a sad note:

Esposa is the word for wife in Spanish, but also the word for handcuff. Coincidence? I think not.

1 comment:

Kara & J.P. said...

I'm stepping up my Zumba classes...I'll be ready to Salsa, Merengue, you name it. And we WILL get JP to shake it.